The hamster is a cute, funny animal, which is interesting to watch, and he brings joy and fun to the house. That is why, acquiring this small animal, we often do not understand that its nutrition should be taken more than seriously. Eating from the "master's" table of a person is completely unacceptable to a hamster. Some foods can make the animal very sick. Therefore, in order for your little pet to please you with its virtuosity for a long time, it is better to know exactly what to feed it.
In ancient times, hamsters were wild animals. They lived mainly in the steppes, where you can’t walk too much in the choice of food. If the hamster found grain, then, as a thrifty rodent, he would surely take it to his hole, because he knew that it would be tight in winter, and he needed to stock up on all the cold. Such "thrifty" of rodents due to the mass destruction of crops, of course, is not welcomed by agronomists. Also in the wild, hamsters, in addition to grain, eat larvae and caterpillars.
It is interesting! Wild hamsters living in harsh environments can pose a huge danger to animals that are significantly smaller than them. In addition to plant foods, hamsters do not disdain small animals, carrion and insects.
If you brought a hamster home, get ready to feed him a meal that should contain all the necessary trace elements and the entire vitamin composition: we are talking about vegetables. In winter, unlike the summer period, the hamster should be given more nutrients along with the feed, which will contain carbohydrates, protein food, and fats. Among other things, next to food, the animal must necessarily have fresh water.
Remember that keeping hamsters is not so difficult, the main thing is that you responsibly approach the issue of nutrition of this smart little animal. Therefore, we decided to familiarize you in detail with which products it is preferable to give the hamster, and which are strictly forbidden to him.
How can you feed hamsters, and what can not?
What is a balanced and proper diet for a domestic hamster? What should he be given daily, what is better to limit, and what is forbidden to feed?
If you feed the hamster with everything that you bought for him in the market or in the supermarket, you definitely risk his health. After all, you don’t know where the saleswoman got a green salad or carrot from the counter, nor do you know how vegetables were processed before they entered the store. And if vegetables and fruits were fertilized with substances that are very harmful in their chemical composition, or they were grown next to a dusty, dirty track.
That's why the safest food for your pet, only the one that you or your friends yourself raised in your own garden.
Fact! Annually, 2 adult hamsters die from chemical-treated cucumbers or salads.
The most vital food for small domestic rodents is, of course, any cereals, dry food and cereals. Boxes of dry food with additives are best bought in stores that specifically sell dry food and food for animals.
Be sure to include in your hamster’s daily diet:
- Pea, barley, hercules, wheat, millet, oat, corn grits and lentils
- Protein food, consisting of: low-fat dairy products (one percent fat is allowed in ordinary yogurt, without additives, kefir and cottage cheese); chicken meat; river fish and shrimp; quail or fresh chicken eggs; insects, gammarus, grasshoppers and dried worms from the zoological store.
- Complementary feed - wheat and oat ears, dried hay. In order for the hamster to be able to grind his teeth in a cage, you should put a twig of any fruit tree or a birch twig.
- Fresh greens of dill, lettuce, parsley or clover.
- Minerals along with vitamins. We advise you not to buy vitamins individually in specialized stores, but it is better to take a package with mineral supplements. However, before you give your pet vitamins, monitor the reaction of the animal: will he like it? There are hamsters that this or that vitamin does not tolerate. If there is an urgent need to strengthen the health of a small pet, it is better to grind the vitamins into powder and add to the main, liquid feed, or mix with fruits and vegetables. Make sure that the hamster is not overfed with vitamins, otherwise it may develop various diseases against the background of side effects. Notice that recently, special wheels for rodents are sold in each pet store to help the animal grind his teeth.
- Fresh water. Drinking for any animal is vital, as it is for humans. There is no water in cereals and grains, so a domestic hamster, who spends most of his life in a cage, definitely needs water.
To feed the hamster in case of diarrhea or constipation, you can give:
- Croup boiled in water. Before you cook the cereal, it should be soaked in water in advance.
- Boiled rice in plain water. It helps the hamster with diarrhea and indigestion.
- A drop of sunflower oil is added to the base diet for constipation.
What can be given to a domestic hamster in small doses:
- Several vegetables and fruits, except for any kind of cabbage, exotic fruits, beets.
- Sweet drying, unsalted popcorn.
- Any nuts - walnuts, forest or sesame.
Than hamsters can not be fed
We already wrote that domestic hamsters categorically can not be given any exotic fruits, spicy, salty, peppered or too sweet, as well as fatty foods, for which the animal’s small digestive system is not at all designed.
This means that the hamster is contraindicated with honey, any sweets, gozinaki, ice cream, halva and shortbread dough: for a pet, it is a slowly killing poison. In the diet of the rodent should be absent - any milk, butter, cream, kefir and sour cream. Cabbage, fried, meat, chocolate products, pasta, bread, breadcrumbs are not recommended for the pet, as they include an ingredient that is dangerous for the hamster. Yes, don’t be surprised, hamsters should never be given bread, but only grain.
Naturally, garlic, hot pepper, onions, sorrel rodent can not be given. Do not forget about melons and watermelons, as well as apricot or cherry seeds, which contain acid harmful to the hamster.
Each time, make sure that the hamster eats only fresh, unspoiled foods and feeds, ripe fruits and vegetables, and has the necessary amount of fresh water. Only in this way will your playful pet please you and your family for a long time with its cheerfulness, activity and healthy appearance!